Thursday, September 04, 2008

Just for Today, September 5

Never promise thyself security in this life, though thou seemest to be a good religious, or a devout hermit.

Oftentimes, they that were better in the judgement of men, have been in greater danger by reason of their too great confidence. So that it is better for many not to be altogether free from temptations, but to be often assaulted, that they may not be too secure; lest perhaps they be lifted up with pride, or take more liberty to go aside after exterior comforts.
-Bk. I, ch. xx.
_______________

"I know that if I gave way deliberately to the least infidelity, my mind would become so darkened that I could no longer accept death."

As the Prioress showed surprise at these words, she added: "I am speaking of a sin of pride. If, for instance, I were to say: "I have acquired such or such a virtue and can practise it," or, "My God, I love Thee too much ever to entertain for a moment a thought against faith!" I feel that I should at once be assailed by such terrible temptations that I should give way. To avoid such a disaster, I have only to say humbly with my whole heart: "My God, I beseech of Thee, let me not be unfaithful!"
-Conseils et Souvenirs.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: