Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Patience - January 13

Patience
Thoughts on the Patient Endurance of Sorrows and Sufferings

DEATH


The great season of Lent is ushered in by Holy Church impressing upon her children that they are mortal and must one day go back to God from whom they came. "Remember, man," she says to each, as ashes are sprinkled on his head, "that thou art dust, and unto dust thou shalt return." No thought could be stronger to make us endeavour to lead good lives and thus make fruitful the sufferings of our Lord. "The sting of death is sin."

Not life only, but death too is lit up by the teaching of our Divine Master. The two go to­gether, and expand into eternity like a river flowing into the sea.

Meanwhile we are pilgrims on the way, hand in hand with one another, hand in hand with our Lord, guided by clear rules of conduct, with timely warnings as to dangers, with an abun­dance of food, in the company of our Lady and many angels and saints, daily approaching nearer to the end, marching to certain victory if we are faithful to the end.

We must always be ready, yet never in a hurry: "be you ready, for you know not the day nor the hour." Let God decide for us: can we not trust Him? Our part is to work on contentedly, always saying: "What shall I wish to have done when I come to die?"

This will help us in pain, in temptation, and in receiving the Sacraments. "Think on thy last end and thou shalt never sin." "Short years," says holy Job, "pass away, and I am walking in a path by which I shall not return." "O Lord, make me know my end, and what is the number of my days, that I may know what is wanting to me."

Under the eye of our Lord, knowing that He has "a care for us," let us daily "provide for our last end," being moulded according to what He wishes; and at the moment that is best for us, He will open the narrow gate and welcome us home.

"This day thou shalt be with Me in Paradise."

"Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."
____________________
Compiled and Edited by Rev. F. X. Lasance
Author of "My Prayerbook," etc.
1937, Benziger Brothers
Printers to the Holy Apostolic See

No comments: