Wednesday, March 03, 2010

The School of Love, March 3

SOME HINTS ON PRAYER, Part III

[continued from yesterday]

...Lastly, as an example of the way the method may be applied to any of the saints, we may take a prayer to St. Joseph.
A PRAYER TO ST. JOSEPH
St. Joseph,
The 'just man;'
The perfect man of Nazareth,
The Spouse of Mary,
The Foster-father of Jesus,
The Patron of labour,
The Patron of a happy death,
The Patron of the whole Church,
Sin1ess,
Selfless,
Unflinchingly generous,
I am a poor beggar,
I am in need,
My tale is against me,
I am very disappointing,
I have no excuse,
I deserve nothing,
Even for the future, how much can I promise?
I cannot be sure of myself,
But I would it were otherwise,
I would become true,
And you can help me,
For Jesus hears you,
Ask him to forgive,
Ask Him to forget,
Ask Him to make me sinless,
Like to yourself,
To make me selfless,
Like yourself,
To make me generous,
Take me as your companion,
And Mary's,
And His.
These examples will suffice to show how the mind may be trained to make its own way in prayer. In general one may notice that the plan is in each case much the same; indeed this plan lies at the root of all prayer of colloquy.

First comes a realisation of the person to whom we pray, with whatever expressions of affection it may evoke; then a realisation of oneself in contrast with this person, with the necessary acts of humility and contrition, or of love and hope; finally, and spontaneously, there is that appeal from one in need to one who possesses an abundance, inspired by a mutual affection which knows it can presume to ask.

Let the actual words be of least account. The realisation is the all-important matter; when, with a single, selfless, unaffected heart we forget to watch our thoughts and words, then the thoughts and words will come of themselves, spontaneously and hot from the heart....

[continued tomorrow]
___________
From The School of Love and Other Essays
by The Most Reverend Alban Goodier, S.J.
Burns, Oates, & Washburn, Ltd. 1918

No comments: