Saturday, January 15, 2011

Prayers & Reflections for January 15

The Armor of God
Reflections and Prayers for Wartime

Chapter V
Looking Into My Soul


How do I stand before God in my words?

Do I realize that a spoken word is like a shot fired and that it can never be taken back?

Do I spread evil of others, whether it be true or false?

Do I set my­self up as a judge of others' actions?

Is my speech clean?

Do I take the name of God in vain?

"O, generation of vipers, how can you speak good things whereas you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

"The good man out of a good treasure bringeth forth good things; and the evil man out of an evil treasure brings forth evil things.

"But I say unto you, that of every idle word that man shall speak, they shall render an account on the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be con­demned" (Matt. 12: 36-37).

"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that shall take the name of the Lord his God in vain" (Exod. 20: 7).

"All things are clean to the clean, but for the defiled and unbelieving nothing is clean; for both their mind and their conscience are defiled" (Titus 1: 15).

"Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God" (Matt. 5: 8).

[Continued tomorrow]
_____________
From:
The Armor of God
Reflections and Prayers for Wartime

by Rt. Rev. Msgr. Fulton J. Sheen
(C) 1943, P.J. Kenedy & Sons

No comments: