Friday, April 29, 2011

Prayers & Reflections for April 29

The Armor of God
Reflections and Prayers for Wartime

CHAPTER XII
Occasional Prayers


PRAYER FOR CHARITY AND TOLERANCE

May I be no man's enemy, and may I be the friend of that which is eternal and abides. May I never quarrel with those nearest me; and if I do, may I be reconciled quickly. May I never devise evil against any man; if any devise evil against me, may I escape uninjured and without the need of hurting him.

May I love, seek, and attain only that which is good. May I wish for all men's happiness and envy none. May I never rejoice in the ill-fortune of one who has wronged me.

When I have done or said what is wrong, may I never wait for the rebuke of others, but always rebuke myself until I make amends.... May I win no victory that harms either me or my opponent.... May I reconcile friends who are angry with one another.

May I, to the extent of my power, give all needful help to my friends and to all who are in want. May I never fail a friend in danger.

When visiting those in grief may I be able by gentle and healing words to soften their pain....May I respect myself....May I always tame that which rages within me.... May I accustom myself to be gentle and never be angry with people because of circumstances.

May I never discuss who is wicked and what wicked things he has done, but know good men and follow in their footsteps, through Christ Our Lord. Amen.

-Attributed to Eusebius, Bishop of Caesarea.

[Continued tomorrow]
_____________
From:
The Armor of God
Reflections and Prayers for Wartime

by Rt. Rev. Msgr. Fulton J. Sheen
(C) 1943, P.J. Kenedy & Sons

No comments: