Saturday, August 05, 2006

Mental Prayer for August 6 - The Widow of Naim

Fifth Sorrowful Mystery (The Crucifixion)
Confidence in Our Lady's Intercession


Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Jesus, my divine teacher, teach me to be poor in spirit.

Mental Picture (d. Luke 7: II-I7) : The noonday sun beats down on the high wooden gate of the walled city of Naimn. From this gate comes the slight figure of the widow, bent over in grief as she follows the funeral of her only son.

Christ halts the sad procession. Some quality in the bent, unpretentious widow attracts Him: He recognizes her poverty of spirit, her willingness to be empty, to be without the one thing that was good in her life. She is not wailing in hysterics; she freely gives back to God the best thing that He has given her.

Christ cannot resist. To the heart empty of selfish ambitions and desires he grants a full measure of reward. "I say to thee, young man, arise."' And He gave him to his mother.

My Personal Application: What does Christ see as He looks at me? Is He struck by my poverty of spirit? Is He attracted by my lack of selfish ambitions? Is there anything in my life that is crowding God out? Am I the type who always thinks that God owes him something?

I Speak to Christ: Jesus, really I am quite a poor person. I can count a lot of things that are "mine," but they are what you gave me. Take from me whatever you wish, but fill me more and more with yourself.

Thought for Today: "You have made us for your­self, God, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: