Sunday, April 27, 2008

Meditation for April 28, Alter Christus

St. Paul counsels us earnestly, Put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ. The only way I can follow his advice is to try to live each day as perfectly as Jesus Christ would have lived it in my place. I do not have to do what He did, but I can and must do what He would have done if He were I; I must strive particularly to have the same affections and aversions as Christ would have had.

This bitterness against my neighbor, these little resentments, these secret jealousies, these little revenges, this foolish vanity to which I give way, these dreams which make me neglect my duty and enervate me; if Christ were in my place, would He allow them to continue?

How many faulty dispositions develop in my soul, producing either bitterness or disgust, just because I lack supernatural spirit or courage.

Instead of living in faith and by faith, I allow self love to ex­press itself, groaning over a little failure, neglecting to persevere in prayer when consolations fail, being unreasonably sensitive over a superior's remark or criticism.

It has been rightfully said that women are very sensitive. This may be an asset, however, if it makes one thrill to beautiful and noble things. But there is another side to the story. Be careful not to be too impressionable....

I must strive to have the sentiments of Jesus Christ. No other spirit should appeal to me.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: