Saturday, May 03, 2008

Just for Today, May 4

Oh! how humbly and lowly ought I to think of myself: how little ought I to esteem whatever good I may seem to have. Oh! how low ought I to cast myself down under the bottomless depths of Thy judgements, O Lord: where I find myself to be nothing else than nothing! Oh! immense weight! Oh! sea that cannot be passed over, where I find nothing of myself but alto­gether nothing!

Where, then, can there be any reason for giorying in myself? where any confidence in any conceit of my own virtue? All vainglory is swallowed up in the depth of Thy judgements over me.

-Bk. III, ch. xiv.
________________

The warm sunshine does not harm the little flower, but makes her blossom wonderfully. She still holds the precious dewdrops that one fell upon her petals, and which ever remind her that she is little and weak. If everyone were to overwhelm her with praise and admira­tion, it would not add a single trace of vainglory to the true joy she feels in her heart when she sees that in God's eyes she is but nothingness.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: