Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Meditation for May 1, Control of the Tongue

The Epistle of St. James includes a remarkable passage on con­trol of the tongue.

I shall never meditate on it enough.

As a bit controls a horse, as a very small rudder governs a boat, even so the tongue is indeed a very little member, and boasteth of great things...(iii, 5.) The tongue is a world of iniquity...which defiles the whole body (6)....Every nature of beasts has been tamed by the nature of man: but the tongue no man can tame. (8)

The Apostle summarizes his thought in the remarkable words, If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man. (2)

I may be forfed to keep silence, either by circumstances, the exigencies of my duty, the obligation of my Rule, or for the sake of recollection.

I must never divulge what others need not know or what my office requires me to keep secret. Many faults against silence are at the same time faults against prudence or charity.

When the Rule commands silence, a breach of silence harms me and my neighbor. What right have I to arrogate to myself the power of taking from a soul a minute--or, alas, more--of recollec­tion? That soul would have found God either in her duty well done, or in fervent prayer, and I have unduly taken the place of God.

"O Mary, so silent, teach me to check my unrestrained desire to talk. Silence teaches many things. Grant that in your school, I may accustom myself to keep many secrets in my heart for the glory of your Son."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: