Saturday, May 03, 2008

Meditation for May 4, The Power of Prayer

In his Confessions, St. Augustine writes of his moth~r, St. Monica:
"You know, my God, what a mother I have lost in her. No other mother has wept over the tomb of her son as much as she has wept because of the degradation of my soul. Could I be so ungrateful as to forget such a mother? No, my dear mother, I shall always remember your love so full of solicitude for me, your anxiety on my account, the bitter sufferings of your heart."

Was it not by the prayers and tears of St. Monica that Augus­tine, the Prodigal, obtained the grace from God to return to the house of his Father? He was torn between his desire for good and his delight in evil; the old habits clung like harpies to the tails of his garments. In spite of all his good desires, he felt himself brought back regularly to "the customary watering place of habit" - these are his own words.

When Monica had wept and prayed eighteen years, Augustine, touched by her tears, finally yielded.

Is a tear or a prayer of a woman so powerful? Can that change a heart and convert a will?

Yes, indeed, wonderful is the power of the Communion of Saints. A soul which elevates itself raises the world. A prayer, a sacrifice, does good not only to the one who prays and mortifies himself, but to any soul who at that moment stands in need of assistance.

The world is saved by prayerful souls. If there were no Monicas, there would be no St. Augustines.

What tremendous power to save the world I hold! Am I solici­tous to sanctify myself to such a degree that I may reach as many souls as possible?

"My God, let me be a Monica to tbe many Augustines in the world. Use my poor merits to the best advantage. Let them be Yours, I sur­render to You their power."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: