Thursday, June 24, 2004

How can they claim to be Catholic?

Lexington Bishop Ronald Gainer doesn't want pro-choice Catholic politicians to take Communion in his diocese. But Lexington Mayor Teresa Isaac and state Sen. Ernesto Scorsone -- both Catholics and abortion-rights advocates -- said they plan to continue receiving the wine and wafer.

"I plan to continue taking Communion and would love to receive it from a woman priest some day soon," she said in a brief written statement.

Scorsone, D-Lexington -- the state's only openly gay legislator, who has also opposed the church's opposition to gay marriage -- said anti-abortion advocates don't have a monopoly on the faith.

"I certainly believe there are a lot of good American Catholics who believe in choice," he said. "I certainly believe in a woman's right to choose."

But state Rep. Mary Lou Marzian, a Catholic and pro-choice Louisville Democrat, wonders why politicians are being singled out.

"I guess my question to the bishops is: 'Are the pedophile priests who are in prison receiving Communion?' I'd like to know," she said.

Marzian said it's "dangerous" for religious leaders to tell politicians how to vote, and it's wrong for them to withhold the sacraments to punish people. "I go to Communion when I want to go, and no bishop, no pope, they're not going to keep me from my religion," she added.
Nobody's gonna tell me what to do! What a display of utter stupidity and ignorance.

Link.

No comments: