Friday, October 15, 2004

Some churches feel pressure of politics

What is church doctrine for some is viewed as voter bullying by others

When the pastor at his Catholic church started talking politics, suggesting parishioners vote for the “pro-life party,” during a recent homily, Rick Skarzynski had had enough.

“I stood up and said, ‘This has gone far enough. Excuse me, Father, I didn’t know we were holding an open forum on politics,’” he said. “‘I am a Democrat, but I am against abortion.’ At that point, a woman in front of me said, ‘Maybe you should leave.’”

The value-laden politics of the 2004 presidential election are dividing faith communities across the country, especially Catholics, who have traditionally been more Democratic than Republican. The issues of abortion, euthanasia, the death penalty, the war in Iraq and gay marriage are tearing congregations apart.
Some people are repulsed by the light of truth.

Article here.

No comments: