Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Today's Post-Dispatch "Town Talk"

Today the Post prints three comments about Archbishop Burke and his recent Pastoral Letter. Good money says that none of the people who made the comments have read the letter - but, apparently that's perfectly fine since the Post and other organizations have distilled the letter's essence into manageable sound bites which seem intended to obscure rather than illuminate the truth.

Burke's law

I KNOW RELIGIOUS leaders aren't supposed to endorse political figures, but Archbishop Burke might as well walk around with a tattoo on his forehead that says "Bush-Cheney" and a bumper sticker on the big limousine he rides around in. I hope Catholics aren't taken in by this man's rhetoric. The death penalty is all right. All of the lives in Iraq that are being lost, that's all right. But he's pushing the abortion issue and the gay marriage ban. Those are exactly the same things Bush and Cheney are running on.
*****
I JUST READ in the paper that Archbishop Burke is telling Catholics who to vote for in the November election. Who does he think he is? We don't want or need him here. He has caused too much grief in the short time he has been here. It is none of his business how you vote. Don't let him take away your freedom to vote your choice. Sounds like a dictator to me.
*****
I READ IN the Oct. 3 Sunday Post-Dispatch that Archbishop Burke's pastoral letter was meant to clarify the subject of voting that has been confusing for St. Louis Catholics. Up until reading his letter and other statements he has made, I was not confused. But now I am confused as to how the Catholic Church can remain a tax-exempt organization and dictate who to vote for. Also, since the archbishop has crossed the line separating church and state, even though he denies it, shouldn't we as Catholics be able to vote him out?
I wonder if any of these three people are Catholic?

I am reminded of what I was told by several people who attended a Pro-Life Mass at my parish last week. I normally attend these Masses but was unable to last week as my eldest son had just arrived home from Boston. The priest was denigrating (or at least, minimizing the Archbishop's pastoral letter during his homily and one woman was overheard saying that Archbishop Burke should pack his bags and go).

Perhaps it was providential that I was unable to attend? I no longer have the patience to listen to dissenting priests and others spew their venom or heterodoxy, particularly at Mass or in a liturgical setting. This priest and I have had our "debates" in the past over what is irreversible teaching and what is not, and I am at a loss to explain how a priest in the Catholic Church could be so ignorant of doctrinal matters which are unchangeable.

Depending on what was said (and I'll probably hear more about the Mass tonight), I'm not certain what I would have done - I may have even walked out during his homily - who knows? I do know that these priests need our prayers so that God may grant them graces necessary to be courageous in proclaiming the truth. Many of them are afraid of the truth, as if it were something to be feared.

Anyway, I think we can see by the reaction of those who can not or will not accept the Archbishop's message and teaching on Catholic morality that it may be pricking the conscience of those who scream in pain the loudest. It is tough medicine for many, and a much needed and welcome relief for others.

We need to continue to pray for Archbishop Burke and the other bishops who, in union with the Holy Father, teach us and guide us on our pilgrim journey toward eternity in heaven.

Source.

No comments: