Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Mental Prayer for June 28 - Never Did Man Speak Like This

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Lord, help to appreciate what you say to me!

Mental Picture: Many travelers have attracted crowds when they began preaching, but this young Jew seems to grip everybody with His message. I am on the edge of the audience now. He was near the lake shore but has now entered Simon Peter's boat. He can speak more easily to the crowd from there. His words are clear; His eyes seem to meet mine alone although there are hundreds of others here too; His gestures and whole appearance are so manly. His message above all goes right to the point and everybody around me, His friends and enemies, have to admit they never heard a man speak like this.

My Personal Application: Am I to think that Christ was preaching only for the benefit of the few who actually heard His speeches? No, for He had all men in mind, even me. Do I therefore listen to Him? Do I ever read His words in the New Testament? Do I put myself in spirit in the crowds who heard Him and take to heart His message?

I Speak to Christ: Jesus, even though I have read the Gospels and have heard your words in sermons, I have not appreciated them as I should. My faith was weak; my love was cold, for I have not lived as you have asked me to. Help me to be gripped by your words, to love you truly... and to put your words into action!

Thought for Today: Never did any man speak like this!
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: