Friday, August 25, 2006

Mental Prayer for August 26-Faith:That We Might Believe

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: God grant me a lively sense of faith.

Mental Picture (cf. John 6:22-70): Standing around in a group of Galileans I hear Jesus say that He is the bread that has come down from heaven. They murmur: they know Him and His parents; how then can He say He came from heaven? He says He is the bread which the Father in heaven gives for the life of the world. Some of these Jews seem to understand; some of them are hostile to His words. Jesus speaks those astonishing words now: "... whoever be­holds the Son, and believes in Him, shall have everlasting life, and I will raise him up on the last day."

My Personal Application: For me, as for the Jews, our Lord's words are not easy to understand. But I have this great advantage: I already have the gift of faith. Do I possibly not appreciate this gift enough? Do I make real and vivid in my daily living the truth that God sent His Son that we might believe in Him? Or has this truth only a skin-deep effect on my life? Have I weighed the tremendous meaning our Lord's words can and should exert on everything I do? - "Amen, amen, I say to you, he who believes in me has life everlasting." A lively faith means that my whole being reacts to the belief that is in my mind.

I Speak to God: My faith is not strong enough, dear Lord, or I would be more inspired to live by the truths you revealed to me. Strengthen it, make it lively. I have the faith; help me to act in accord with it.

Thought for Today: I believe; strengthen my belief.
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: