Saturday, August 26, 2006

Mental Prayer for August 27-Faith: The Words of Life

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: That I may be firm in my faith in God's word.

Mental Picture (cf. John 6:1-70): After Jesus feeds the five thousand with five loaves and two fishes, He tells them of the bread of heaven. "I am the bread of life." They must eat His flesh and drink His blood to be saved.

The crowd doesn't understand; the people walk away. Jesus asks the Apostles if they too will leave. And Peter replies, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."

My Personal Application: The answer of St. Peter is a wonderful profession of a strong faith in Jesus. Peter did not understand very well the words about the bread of life, how Jesus would perform the miracle. Yet he believed in Jesus and followed Him because he had complete trust in Him. Do I have this strong faith in Jesus? Do I have faith in our Lord's words and deeds, because it is our Lord God who says and does them?

I Speak to Christ: Lord, often my faith is weak. Like the Jews who heard you speak about the Eucharist I, at times, have difficulty in believing. But I do not have doubt, because you are the one who is telling me. You are God. You are all-knowing and all-truthful. You cannot be deceived nor will you deceive me. Lord, strengthen my faith.

Thought for Today: "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: