Thursday, August 03, 2006

Mental Prayer for the First Friday of August-Sacred Heart, Model of All Virtues

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: That I may consider the Sacred Heart my model in all things.

The Idea: Sometimes we sum up the people we know by saying they are "good sports" or "lots of fun." Sometimes we can do it in one word; we call a person "serious" or "kind." And we notice too that certain saints are singled out for particular virtues, such as St. Philip Neri for cheerfulness or St. Maria Goretti for purity. Christ is the perfect man because He is God. He is the model of cheerfulness, of obedience, of purity, of humility, of all virtues. And when we consider the Sacred Heart of Christ we can find the one word that sums up Christ's character completely, that sums up His whole life, His work. That word is "love."

Love is the greatest of the virtues because all the rest are needed to practice it.

The Sacred Heart of Christ stands for the complete life of Christ, for all the virtues because it means, above all, love.

My Personal Application: What is my idea of real love? Something weak, or silly, or sensual? Or do I see love as a real giving of myself, of my thoughts, words, and deeds to Christ in return for His love? A return of myself to Him who is all goodness, all happiness, all love, the Sacred Heart of Jesus?

I Speak to Christ: Most Sacred Heart, filled with love for me, fill my small heart and soul with real, deep love for you. When I am trying to be obedient and pure and kind, help me to see that I am loving you.

Thought for Today: Sacred Heart of Jesus, I implore that I may ever love thee more and more.
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: