Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Mental Prayer for September 27-What It Takes to Persevere

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To fight the good fight for Christ!

The Idea: "Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once" (Shakespeare).

"Gentleman Jim" Corbett, when asked what was the most important thing a man must do to become a boxing champion, replied: "Fight one more round!"

My Personal Application: God helps those who help themselves - those who are doing everything they can to make themselves His apostles. God first of all expects me to use daily prayer, the sacraments, and a constant awareness of His pres­ence. And then... what else? What else does He look for in me? He looks for courage!... the courage to toil to develop my talents - so that I can use them in His service. This means hard study, plenty of it, so that I can become the intelligent, well-informed lay apostle that the Pope is calling for. It means the drudgery of learning to express myself fluently - on my feet or in writing - whenever the occasion calls for it. It means going to the painstaking trouble of acquiring social virtues, learning how to work with others, how to influence others, how to carry out orders and fulfill my part in a big program (even when my task is dull or difficult and I would much prefer to be doing something else). Do I have the courage to do such things as these... and perhaps much more besides?

I Speak to Christ: When I'm tired, downhearted, and inclined to give it all up, be with me and be my strength! Don't let me think one mistake or several failures is the end of it all. Help me to profit by them and use them as stepping stones to success - the success of your great campaign­ - that's what counts! I love you and I want to serve you with all I have!

Thought for Today: Have I got what it takes?
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: