Sunday, October 15, 2006

Mental Prayer for October 16-Giving All to God

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, help me to understand perfect detachment.

The Idea: Detachment is the control of our likes and dislikes in such a way that they do not lead us into sin. But it is possible that even with some degree of detachment, I will still be led by my likes and dislikes so that I will not do all that God asks of me. I may have this attitude: "I will not commit any sin, but I will try to make all the money in life that I possibly can." I will be doing nothing positively wrong, but let me ask myself : "Is this the perfect use of creatures?" Wouldn't perfect use of creatures demand that I not be led in any way by my likes and dislikes? Would I not be more perfect were my attitude like this: "I don't care whether I am rich or poor; I'm going to figure out how I can best serve God and do it" or "I don't care whether God calls me to the married or single life so long as I can feel that I am doing the most for God." This is perfect detachment. It doesn't mean that I can't like any creatures, but merely that I can't let any creature influence me and lead me away from perfect love and servtce of God.

My Personal Application: How am I approaching my choice of vocation in life? Is my attitude "I won't commit any sin, but I'll enjoy all the pleasures of this life to the full wherever possible"? Ask our Lord to make you realize that there is such a thing as a "better way of life".

I Speak to God: Lord, this perfect detachment seems very hard. Give me strength and courage to try to live it.

Thought for Today: I will try to life my life with perfect detachment.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: