Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 16, Happy Death

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, give me the grace to prepare for death, the grace of the help of the sacraments.

The Idea: When I think of a happy death, I naturally think of the scene that legend tells of the death of St. Joseph. Beside him were Jesus and Mary, the two persons dearest to his heart and to the heart of God. How Christ must have assured Joseph of his high place in heaven and promised He would take him there soon! I should pray that Christ be with me at the hour of death in the person of His priest and His sacraments. How often have I asked Mary to be at my side: "... now, and at the hour of our death." With Jesus and Mary at my side there can be no fear in death.

My Personal Application: Do I often pray for a happy death? Do I ask God to give me the grace which He offers through His Church, all the while being resigned to His holy will? Or do I merely get frightened at the very thought of death and refuse to think about it? Such an attitude can only disturb and destroy even the possibility of dying peacefully.

I Speak to God: Lord, in my weakness, I seek the consolation of having you near me at the moment of death. Please grant me the grace to be fortified by the sacraments and by peace of soul and body when death comes. In my weakness and fear I can only throw myself on your goodness and mercy.

Thought for Today: Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, assist me in my last agony!
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: