Thursday, November 16, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 17, The Particular Judgment

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Jesus, my judge, let me feel the deep seriousness of this most important moment of all.

Mental Picture: Darkness, silence, and complete quiet... for death has come. Then a pair of eyes, serious, demanding eyes... they look right into my soul and see everything. The eyes of my judge ...I see with Him my whole life. A door opens upon this or that particular scene in my life. Beyond that another open door; then another, another, and another. They continue to open at His penetrating glance... my life, moment by moment, month by month, year by year... all is open, every action, every thought, "every idle word," every deed.

My Personal Application: Have I ever done some mean or dishonest thing secretly, only to be startled to hear someone say, "I saw you when you..."; or "You did such a thing, didn't you?" If so, a sense of shame has knifed into me and I have felt very small indeed. At the judgment every single thing I have done will stand out like a sharply chiseled statue. And the judge is not just another man, but God. "This you have done," He will say. What will it be? That's for me to choose; for it will be what I make it.

I Speak to Christ: 0 Jesus, my judge, I want to look into your searching eyes here on earth, so that they will not terrify me at the judgment. If I can­not look into your eyes now, how will I do it after death? That is the test of the kind of life I live: can I meet your eyes and not be ashamed? My Lord, if I can't lift my eyes to yours, help me to see the reason why, to be sorry, and to reach out for your pardon.

Thought for Today: "Lord, enter not into judg­ment with thy servant."
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: