Sunday, November 19, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 20, The Woman Taken in Adultery

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, so imprint on my mind this picture of your mercy that, whatever happens, I may never lose heart.

Mental Picture (cf. John 8: 2-11): We are in a small courtyard of the temple of Jerusalem. Jesus sits on a bench, His followers about Him. Before Him stands a crowd of grim-faced Scribes and Pharisees... a weeping woman kneels between them... "Moses commanded us to stone such persons," say the Pharisees. "What do you say?" Jesus says: "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone at her." The grim-faced crowd melts away. To the sorrowing woman Jesus says, "Neither will I condemn you. Go thy way, and sin no more."

My Personal Application: Sin is always a shame­ful thing, but sins of the flesh especially so. The by-products of such sins are so haunting; the defeat seems so complete; the way out so useless. From such an attitude these sinners have much to fear, for they may suffer the greatest defeat of all : they may give up. For them and for all sinners this story of the woman in adultery should mean everything. Could Jesus Christ be more tender, more anxious to forgive than He is here with this frightened and sorrowing woman?

I Speak to Christ: My Jesus, it is tenderness such as this that wins my heart; not a "pretend-the-sin ­didn't-happen" attitude, but a deep sympathy and understanding. How well you know our needs! How you put confidence into the sinner who needs it most! Give my heart the courage it needs to battle against sinful pleasure and stay loyal to you. Mary, my Mother, help me.

Thought for Today: "Go thy way and from now on, sin no more."
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: