Friday, November 24, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 25, Perfect Contrition

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To be sorry for my sins because of love for you, O my God.

The Idea: One day the saintly and kind Cure of Ars refused a man absolution because he was obviously not sorry for his sins. The Cure's parting words were: "Repent or you are damned!" A few minutes later the sinner returned, begging for absolution. The Cure welcomed him and asked if the thought of hell brought him back. He answered: "Not that, Father, but the great God. I am sorry for sins because they have offended God."

This kind of sorrow comes from the love of God and is called perfect contrition. It is because of God's great love and mercy that we are sorry for our sins. When we have hurt our parents, we are sorry, not because of a punishment we fear, but because of the love we have for them who are so good. So with God, in perfect contrition we sorrow over our sins out of love. The love of God and not heaven or hell is the basis of perfect contrition.

My Particular Application: Perfect contrition for my sins calls for great love of Him against whom I have sinned. Can I not be deeply sorry when I look at the crucifix and see Him suffering there? Ask God for this perfect contrition. It is not necessarily a feeling. It is a realization of my having offended an all-good God. Out of love for Him can I ever sorrow enough for my sins?

I Speak to God: When I look at Christ on the cross, my God, I know the foulness of my sins. Can I ever love you as I should for what you have done and what you are? I am sorry because I have hurt you who are worthy of my love.

Thought for Today: My God, because you are all­-good, all-love, I am sorry for having offended you.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: