Saturday, November 25, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 26, The Purpose of Amendment

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Strengthen my will and inflame my heart, O Lord, that I may truly amend my life.

The Idea: The shock of the news shook the social world. The vivacious leader of the smart set, the star playwright, international correspondent, editor, congresswoman - Clare Boothe Luce - had become a Catholic! But why? "The real reason I became a Catholic was to rid myself of my burden of sins."

The firm conviction that his sins are forgiven is possibly the greatest consolation a Catholic has. The only danger lies in a complacency that over­looks the necessity of being firmly resolved to sin no more - to take appropriate steps to avoid possible future falls.

When God washes away our sins in confession, He takes us back into His full friendship. Our part is then to thank Him and tell Him we propose to avoid sinning in the future. Our intention to do better is a test of our sincerity in seeking God's friendship again.

My Personal Application: Do I always thank God after confession?... and faithfully say my penance? Do I ask His help during the coming week? In my firm resolve not to sin again, do I try to dis­cover ways of avoiding the same faults? I won't succeed in keeping my promise unless I seek His help and cooperate with it.

I Speak to God: O Lord, I firmly resolve to avoid all sin in the future. I am sincere. Give me the grace to see what I must do to avoid occasions of sin and how to resist temptations. Help me - I do want to do better!

Thought for Today: I firmly resolve....
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: