Sunday, December 10, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 11, The Bigger the Prize

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Not to be deaf to Christ's challenge, but ready and eager to do His holy will.

The Idea: Doctors, in public and private, seem to be always warning men and women to watch out for their health, not to overwork or strain. Yet how many articles have I ever read or seen warning anyone not to work himself to death in spreading Christ's cause, in doing good to others, in teaching Christ's truth? Why not? Isn't it strange that so many people should literally kill themselves with work in order to make money? They have to leave it behind when they die anyway. And so few make any noticeable effort at all to win a reward they will never lose.

My Personal Application: In my ordinary affairs, the bigger the prize, the greater the effort I make to win. That's only common sense. Yet do I really follow through on that common-sense principle when it comes to working for Christ, helping my own soul and the souls of others? I am playing for the biggest stakes imaginable - ­eternal life. Do I act like it?

Others think nothing of devoting their whole days, all their free time, giving up food and sleep to make their business a success, to win an election, to pass an important examination. Well and good, but what of myself and the effort I make for the success of the one completely important job in the world - spreading the kingdom of Christ?

I Speak to God: My God, I do not like to think of myself as a coward or a slacker. Yet there must be something wrong. Maybe I just haven't thought seriously enough about the way things really are until today. Pour light into my mind that I may see more and more what is really important in this life and what part I should have in it.

Thought for Today: "Lay up for yourselves treasure in heaven."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: