Friday, December 15, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 16, The Ideal in My Life

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To understand how important it is for me to have a clear ideal and grace to follow it.

The Idea: Everybody has an ideal... something to aim at. Living is progress - I'm going some­where - I'm becoming somebody - and whether I realize it or not, I'm becoming somebody like my ideal. Maybe my ideal is very clear - my mother, my father, a lawyer, a nurse, a movie star, a ball­player. Maybe my ideal is vague - the "man of distinction," the "perfect wife." In any case I have an ideal. Without one, I just stop - just stop becoming anything. I must have something to live for, somebody to die for. My ideal draws me on to my goal, on to what I want to be. The closer I follow the pattern, the ideal, the closer I come to my goal.

My Personal Application: Is my ideal just the goal of part of my life? If it is, then it is not the right, the full ideal. Who should be my ideal? Some­thing to live for - what greater cause could there be than that of saving souls? Somebody to die for - what man or woman could be more worthy to give my life for than Christ, my King! Could there, is there, will there be anyone greater than He?

I Speak to Christ: My King, it is so hard for me to understand this - to really realize this. I want to become what I said I would in my consecration. I know I can't do it without help from you. Please help me to carry out my dedication.

Thought for Today: "Something to live for­ - somebody to die for."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: