Monday, December 11, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 12, Total Surrender

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To make a real consecration of my­self to the cause of Christ; and strength to live up to it forever.

The Idea: My life, starting today, can have the same importance as the life of any great statesman, general, doctor, or writer. I can play a really significant role in the world from today on. How? By deciding now to use my life and all my powers to follow Christ.

My Personal Application: Others have made this complete self-offering even younger than I. Many of the saints started out at an early age - why am I waiting?

They saw their chance, and they took it. And all the "clever" people who lived with them and used to warn them to make money for themselves, have more fun, work to be famous and rich - all those people are forgotten now. But the saints who worked only for God are still remembered by millions; their feast days are celebrated; their lives are read and studied and loved. And the saints themselves are alive today with God. Who were really more "clever"?

Of course it will be hard for a time - perhaps for a lifetime. The world will not love me and thank me for trying to save it. The world will kill me, if it can, as it killed Christ, my Leader, before me. But in the long run, I can't lose. Will I consecrate myself to Christ under these conditions? If I will, let me say:

I Speak to Christ: O Christ, you are my Lord and King because you created me from nothing. But I want freely to make you my King and Leader in a special way, by consecrating myself to you today. Here, before all the angels and saints of heaven, I tell the world that I want to serve you every moment of my life, and help in your work of saving souls, spreading the truth, teaching men to love you and love one another for your sake. I want to do this in spite of every possible difficulty, because this is the most worthwhile cause on earth; this cause will conquer in the end, and I hope to reign with you in heaven forever. Help me. Amen.

Thought for Today: "Lord, I will follow you wherever you go."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: