Sunday, December 24, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 25,The Birth of Christ

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: O Holy Spirit, give me the grace to appreciate this wonderful gift of God to me.

Mental Picture (cf. Luke 2:6-7): The dark cold of the night... we stumble along looking for the cave. Mary says nothing, but we know she is very tired. I run ahead... here it is! Joseph brings the worn­out donkeys. I quickly make a place for Mary... Joseph lifts her down... he builds the fire. I look for a warm corner and clean straw to make a better place for Mary. After the donkeys are fed, and the fire is up, we eat a quick supper, and get set for the night. In such a cave, a stable for sheep... in strange hills, away from home... on a straw bed, with donkeys and Mary and Joseph and myself to welcome Him... He is born! A little baby, crying and squirming in Mary's arms... Jesus Christ, the Son of God... God Himself!

My Personal Application: This is God's Christmas gift to me. He gives me His own Son to live a human life, and to redeem me. This little baby in the cradle of His mother's arms is born tonight for me. What return gift can I give for God Himself?

I Speak to God: O Father, thank you for this great gift. It's hard for me to understand how great your love for me is. I want to understand more and more. Help me, you who gave your Son for me, help me to see the deep meaning of your gift.

Thought for Today: "This day is born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: