Friday, December 29, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 30, Christ Comes to Me Today

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To understand and appreciate the importance of Holy Communion in a Catholic's life.

The Idea: Christ was born in Bethlehem - many years ago. I wasn't there. He knew I couldn't be there and yet He wanted to be with me. That's why He was born: to be with me. So to the miracle of His birth, He added the miracle of the Blessed Sacrament. In Holy Communion the Son of God comes to me personally. The priest calls Him from heaven during Mass and He comes to me in Holy Communion. It's Christmas all over again. Only instead of a cold manger in a poor cave, what does He find? My heart! He comes to me to change my heart as He came in Bethlehem to change the world. He comes to make me holy, to help me live the life of a faithful Catholic, to help me change the world with Him.

My Personal Application: What is my attitude toward Holy Communion? Do I understand the impor­tance of coming close to Christ through Holy Communion? How often do I receive? Could I easily be receiving Holy Communion more often than I do? Do I think often of the fact that Christ really wants to come to me in Holy Communion?

I Speak to God: Heavenly Father, I want to appre­ciate the great gift of your Son. Help me to understand that He comes to me in Holy Com­munion... that He wants to come to me. Help me to see that Holy Communion is an important fact in my life and, through me, in the lives of all whom I hope to bring to Christ through Christ.

Thought for Today: I will read, pray and try to under­stand better the great importance of Holy Communion and being properly disposed to receive my Lord in this wonderful Sacrament.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: