Monday, December 04, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 5, The Call of a Leader

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To know my own strength.

The Idea: Today's meditation is a test of character. I will look deeply inside myself and see honestly how I would respond to a certain imaginary situation.

First, I must imagine the situation. Suppose that our country became a Communist slave state. Impossible? That's what the people of Poland, Hungary, Romania once thought, too. So I try to imagine it, with all its accompanying horrors, ­especially horrible for people who try to remain faithful to God.

And now suppose that, just when things seemed at their very worst, God stepped in with a miracle. God raised up a great Catholic leader and com­missioned him to lead a revolt, a coast-to-coast uprising for liberty; God called on every man, woman, and child who loved his country to join in and help - there would be work for all. And the miracle was this : though the fight would be hard and long, though there would be much work and much suffering for all, still, by God's power, every single person who marched behind that leader would survive. All would, miraculously, be alive at the end and see their country free.

My Personal Application: How would I respond to such a call? Would I volunteer? Would I dare risk my job, my possessions, my reputation; face prison, suffering, dangers - if, in the end, I and the cause I fought for under such a leader were sure to win? Would I be mature enough to give up a few things now to gain a sure reward in the future? Would the good of my country, my church, and the people I care for most mean enough to me?

I Speak to God: Please God, let me see myself as I am. Could I really measure up to a situation such as that? If not, what's wrong with me? Will you help me overcome whatever is wrong?

Thought for Today: Help me to know myself.
_________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: