Monday, March 12, 2007

Giving Up Girl Scout Cookies?

As I exited a lumber/hardware store this past weekend, a group of young Girl Scouts asked me if I'd like to purchase some cookies. I really like some of the cookies, but without hesitation I told them, "Not today, thank you."

I knew that there were valid reasons for NOT buying these cookies and lending support to the Girl Scouts, but a friend of a friend directed me to a recent article by Jane Chastain which confirmed my suspicions.

It's not that I don't want to support scouting. It's just that I cannot continue to support what the Girl Scouts have become: a tool of the radical feminist movement, anti-God, pro-abortion, pro-homosexuality.

Today, the scouting experience largely depends on the area council and local troop leaders. Some still may be quite conservative, but these troops swim upstream against the national organization, which has run amuck.

While the Boy Scouts have stood against pressure exerted by atheists, gay activists and other left-leaning forces that have sought to undermine its core value system, the Girl Scouts have become a model of political correctness, even allowing their area councils and troops to partner with Planned Parenthood, the nation's largest abortion provider.
The author continues with a bit of the history of how the GS became something other than what it was intended to be and that there is a good and wholesome alternative to the Girl Scouts:

The good news is that there is still a way for young girls to experience a wholesome scouting experience. In 1995, Patti Garibay, a former Girl Scout troop leader and area delegate founded American Heritage Girls. AHG now has some 6,000 members with 1,200 volunteers in 33 states.

This year, I photocopied a little note to give to all the Girl Scouts I meet saying that I would like to support their efforts but can no longer support the values promoted by the national organization. I tell them that I will gladly donate $100 to their troop if it will switch its affiliation to the American Heritage Girls. I enclose my name and phone number so that they can count on me to write a check, along with contact information for AHG:

American Heritage Girls
www.ahgonline.org
513-771-2025
The "note" idea sounds like a great idea, but the $100 donation is a bit too steep for me...

HT to Darla for the link.

No comments: