Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mental Prayer for March 15, Showing Forth Christ

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, help me understand what it means to say "I am Christ to the men of my times."

The Idea: A TV set is supposed to give an accurate picture here and now of something that is going on at a distance. A person far away is made present if the set is working properly. If the set is not working as it should, the picture is distorted and ugly. Perhaps the screen is entirely blank. But if the set is working well, the picture of the person is almost as alive as the person himself.

The better the conditions and the components, the better the picture... We, Catholics, united under Christ's Vicar, the Holy Father, are members of the Mystical Christ. We are Christ to the world that sits and watches us. We can show the world Christ only if we are healthy members of His body. We are not giving a good picture of Christ if we do not live up to our duties as Catholics. The better mem­bers of the Church we are, the closer we are united with Christ, the better the picture of Christ we present to the world.

My Personal Application: I am Christ to the men of my times. Any failure on my part to live my life as a Catholic, any failure to be united as closely as I can to Christ, will result in a weak or wavering or unsteady or distorted picture of Christ to my fellowmen. Any spiritual failure on my part is going to harm not only me but all those for whom I am Christ. Any spiritual advance on my part is going to benefit not only me but all those for whom I am Christ.

I Speak to God: Lord, help me realize that because I am a member of the Catholic Church, a member of the Mystical Christ, I have the duty to show forth Christ to all men.

Thought for Today: I am Christ to the men of my times.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: