Friday, March 23, 2007

Mental Prayer for Friday after the Fourth Sunday of Lent

Christ Before Herod

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Grant me a pure heart, so that you might never remain silent to my soul.

Mental Picture (cf. Luke 23: 8-11) : Loud, boister­ous, irate for having been called at this early hour, the pleasure-loving court of the Fox, Herod, assemble. The deeds of the Wonder Worker had even reached their ears... a chance to see some of His magic. The rowdy crowd subsides as the king addresses the composed defendant. "Do a trick for us!... Come now!... Are you a fool!... Fool!... Of course; bring the white cloak of the fool... This simpleton can't even talk." And Christ remained silent.

My Personal Application: What is going through the mind of Christ as He stands here in front of Herod and the court? How does He feel? Herod is a king ; but a king who has thoughts only for this world. Christ is a king whose kingdom is not of this world. Herod and the court make a fool of Christ. He came to save men. He is God who came to show us how to live right. He is wise and Herod and all men who are like him say, "He is a fool." He loves us all more than we can say, and men say... "a fool." Where do I stand? What do I say?

I Speak to Christ: My Lord and King, help me to understand how you felt before Herod; how you felt every time anyone called your teaching and your life foolish. I stand with you. I know some men will call my life foolish - but you show me the way. I follow.

Thought for Today: Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: