Friday, March 23, 2007

Mental Prayer for Saturday After the Fourth Sunday of Lent

Christ or Barabbas

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, never let my spiritual values become so dulled that I even consider choosing sin before you.

Mental Picture: The mob suddenly grows quiet. On the balcony three figures... Pilate, Christ, and Barabbas. Your choice! He who gave life to your dead, or he who is a murderer! He who went about healing the sick or he who despised weakness! He who stands for all that is good, or he who has done evil! Your choice! But the choice had been made long before. Greed and desire for power had dulled their spiritual values. The voices of the prophets were drowned by the raging sea of their passions. The voices of the chief priests grew and swelled, whipping up the shouts of the mob until all we can hear is: "Give us Barabbas - as for the other, crucify Him! Crucify Him!"

My Personal Application: Christ stands before His people. He came to save them, but He would not force Himself on them. Christ must be freely chosen. Here is their chance - here is the chance for men to choose their Savior. What does Christ think as He hears His chosen people reject Him? His mind is clear and He knows the bitterness of being rejected. Men are free, I am free - every time I sin seriously I reject Christ, I choose some­thing else - someone else - not Him.

I Speak to Christ: Lord, let this scene of rejection be so impressed on my memory that whenever I am tempted to sin, it will prevent me from making the same mistake. So often in the past I have chosen Barabbas before you. I choose you now, I choose to fight in your army.

Thought for Today: "O good Jesus, hear me. Let me not be separated from thee."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: