Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mental Prayer for Monday After the Fourth Sunday of Lent

The Agony in the Garden - Thy Will Be Done

The Passion of Christ-Its Meaning

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: O God, help me to say always, "Thy will be done."

Mental Picture (cf. Matt. 26:36-46): Midnight... deserted spot in a grove of olive trees... I see a haggard man on the ground, clinging to a rock for support. Suddenly, I see a chalice suspended in the air before the man. It tilts forward and in it both He and I see... a knotted scourge... a filthy blindfold... inch-long thorns shaped like a crown... three jagged spikes. A voice fills the night, "My Son, will you suffer these for men?" And the trembling man responds, "Father, if it be possible, let this chalice pass... but not my will, but thine be done." He knows entirely what His Father wants Him to suffer, and He freely chooses to do His Father's will... for me... for my sins.

My Personal Application: Do I remember way back when I meditated on why I was made and saw God's will for me? And do I remember my sins when I disobeyed God's will? Now I see the price Christ had to pay for sin. This was not easy for Christ. Yet by His willingness He re­pairs for my unwillingness - for the many times I turned away from what I knew was right.

I Speak to Christ: My suffering Savior, help me always to conform my will to yours. When temp­tation is strong, when sin is ever so enticing, when my will is drawn so strongly to sin, give me the grace to say, "Not my will, but thine be done."

Thought for Today: "Not my will, but thine be done."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: