Friday, April 06, 2007

Mental Prayer for Holy Saturday

The Burial of Christ

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: "Holy Mother, pierce me through. In my heart each wound renew of my Savior crucified."

Mental Picture (cf. John 19:38-42): Joseph of Arimathea takes the Body of Christ to his tomb. Mary, His Mother, prepares to wrap His body in the winding sheet. As she lovingly arranges it, her heart speaks:

"So you are dead, my Son. Your heart that loved sinners and bled for them beats no more. Your lips that gave man truth, that spoke the words of forgiveness and of God's love, are now cold and still. Your hands that gave sight to the blind and speech to the dumb, that quieted the storm on the lake and multiplied loaves and fishes now, in death, are empty. Your feet that carried you wherever there were men to be saved or healed or comforted, that walked one night on the water, were torn by nails upon the cross.

"Yes, my Son, you are dead. And with you I have died, though my heart still beats and my body still breathes. My life ended when you bowed your head and lived no more.

"I remember the wonder in my soul when the angel told me you would come... the joy when I laid you in the straw when angels sang. I feel the touch of your childish fingers that once formed the world. I remember my loneliness when you left me to go about your Father's business.

"You are dead, my Son; but these things crowd my mind. And the memory too of the proud and weak Roman politician who unjustly condemned you... of the chosen people, so hardened and blind... of the bloody road... of your dying cry - all these I cannot forget.

"Yet I know your glory. One remembered word destroys my fears, one promise gives me courage. I cover your face and lay you in the tomb... and I pray aloud, 'Oh rise, my Son! Arise!'"

My Personal Application: I listen to the words of the Queen of the Heaven, my Mother. "To Jesus hrough Mary." Mother, give me the courage to follow Him even in bearing His cross... and so share in His resurrection.

Thought for Today: "Holy Mother, pierce me through..."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: