Friday, December 21, 2007

Meditation for December 22, The Roasd to Bethlehem

In my going and coming, whether outside the convent or in the community-how does my bearing compare with the recollected silence of Mary and Joseph?

The Virgin Immaculate, abounding in divine grace, is occupied with the Holy Trinity who overshadowed her, and with the divine Treasure she bears - the God-Man soon to appear in the world. Joseph, the Just, rich in supernatural life, blessed God for the privilege of participating in the sublime Mystery of the Incarna­tion. Like Mary, he humbly accepted his part. And Mary thinks only of what God has dared to accomplish in her, a poor creature.

Both are recollected; both are humble.

Both are obedient. They go where God leads them - to Beth­lehem to be enrolled! Yes, but where will they find place to stay? They do not know, but that does not matter. The order has been given, an order much higher than Caesar's. They see in it the dispositions of Divine Providence. There is no bitterness in their submission. Perhaps they do not fully understand, but God has His designs and they abandon themselves to Him.

"Jesus, Mary, Joseph, grant me in all my activity these three virtues: recollection, humility, and complete abandonment. May I be more and more united to the Blessed Trinity, my ever-present Guest! May I become less noticed, more humble, and desirous only of serving my con­gregation and each member thereof. In all circumstances may I abandon myself completely and confidently to Divine Providence!"
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: