Thursday, January 03, 2008

Just for Today, January 4

In this, most of all, hast Thou shown me the sweetness of Thy love, that when I had no being Thou hast made me; and when I strayed far from Thee, Thou hast brought me back again, that I might serve Thee; and Thou hast commanded me to love Thee. O Fountain of everlasting love, what shall I say to Thee? How can I ever forget Thee, who hast vouchsafed to remember me, even after that I was corrupted and was lost? Thou hast beyond all hope shown mercy to Thy servant, and beyond all my desert bestowed Thy grace and friend­ship on me.

What return shall I make to Thee for this favour? for it is a favour not granted to all, to forsake all things and renounce the world, and choose a monastic life. Can it be much to serve Thee, whom the whole creation is bound to serve? It ought not to seem much to me to serve Thee; but this seems rather great and wonderful to me, that Thou vouchsafest to receive one so wretched and unworthy into Thy service, and to associate him to Thy beloved servants.
-Bk. III, ch. x.
___________________

Opening the Gospels my eyes fell upon these words: Going up into a mountain he called to him whom he would (Mark iii, 13). These words sum up the mystery of my vocation and of my whole life, and above all the mystery of the special graces bestowed on my soul. He does not choose those who are worthy, but those whom He is pleased to call. As St Paul says, quoting Exodus: I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy (Exod. xxxiii, 19). So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy (Rom. ix, 16).
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: