Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Meditation for January 2, Jesu Dulcis Memoria

We often sing Jesu, dulcis memoria. Can I sing this with sin­cerity? Is it true, Jesus, that You are a sweet memory to me, that I experience joy in invoking or pronouncing Your name? Or is Your name just an ordinary name, a name that means no more to me than any other?

It is not a question of being sensibly moved or of feeling conso­lation in pronouncing Your name, O Jesus, but it is a matter of increasing in love, in a generous desire for renunciation, in a burn­ing thirst for souls.

Jesus means Savior.

Savior signifies the gift of oneself; I will give myself more com­pletely to You. The invocation of the name of Jesus, of sweet memory, will help me to love You more fervently.

That signifies sacrifice, to fulfill the task of the Redemption and God knows what that cost the Good Master, since He shed His blood already at the Circumcision. The invocation of the name Jesus, of sweet memory, will help me to conquer myself.

That signifies zeal for the salvation of souls. The invocation of Your name, O Jesus, will incite me to increase or, at least, to in­tensify my zeal.

During this month, I will be more attentive each time the name of Jesus comes to my lips either in a community prayer or in an ejaculation of my own. At these moments I will call upon all my powers of loving; may the invocation of the name of Jesus bring peace to my soul; may it prove anew my love for Thee, my Jesus.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: