Sunday, February 10, 2008

Meditation for February 11, Love of Mary

The Church has chosen this day to commemorate the appari­tions at Lourdes. I shall profit by it to intensify my love of Mary and to emulate Bernadette in tender simplicity, filial confidence and absolute devotion.

"If I knew," said St. John Eudes, "a person who loved Mary more than I, no matter how far away he would be, I would go to him to learn to love more."

I shall ask the little Saint who had the happiness of contemplat­ing the Immaculate Virgin in the Grotto of Massabielle to obtain for me all that is yet wanting in my love of Mary. Her power over the heart of Mary must be boundless.

Inspired by the simplicity of Bernadette, I shall meditate with my whole soul on the touching prayer addressed to the Madonna by St. Francis de Sales:

"Remember, most sweet Virgin Mary, that you are my Mother and that I am your child..., that you are most powerful and I am a poor, miserable, weak little being.

"I beg you, my sweet Mother, to defend and govern me in all that I do. Do not tell me, gracious Virgin, that you cannot, because your beloved Son gives you all power...

Do not say that you must not, because you know that you are the Mother of all poor human beings and of me in particular....

If you could not, I would excuse you saying, it is true that she is my Mother and loves me as her sonj but her poverty lacks influence and power. If you were not my Mother, I would be patient, saying, she is indeed rich enough to help me; but alas, not being my Mother, she does not love me....

Then, O most sweet Virgin, since you are my Mother and you are most powerful, how shall I excuse you if you do not help me, and do not lend me your aid and assistance? You see, my Mother, that you are forced to grant all my requests."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: