Thursday, February 14, 2008

Meditation for February 15, Gos's Good Pleasure

"Cost what it may, God must be satisfied." This was the mo­tivating principle of Claude de la Colombiere's practical program of holiness. Many writers give this as the best possible motto:
Comply with God's wishes, satisfy Him and please Him. You are my All, O God.... If You are satisfied, that is all that matters.

In the majority of cases, my seeking to please God will be iden­tical to doing violence to myself. A child once asked, "Why is it so hard to be good?" As a result of original sin, virtue imposes its price on nature; it is much easier to follow our inclinations than to try to conquer ourselves, "to conquer oneself through violence," as Psichari said.

It is not, however, the intensity of effort that gives an act its merit, but it is the intensity of the love animating the one who acts. The more saintly we are, the less difficulty we experience in acting, yet our merit increases because our love increases. Mary, who felt no difficulty in serving God, enjoys a great reward because she had great love.

It is true, however, if there is an obstacle to overcome we must show greater love. The degree of difficulty involved indicates the possible merit; it does not create merit.

Whether my duty offers difficulties or not, I shall put all my love in it. I matter little; God's good pleasure is everything.

"Blessed Claude de la Colombiere, who encouraged St. Margaret Mary in the pursuit of virtue, teach me the secret of giving without reserve, of disengaging my love from every interest, of thirsting to please God alone."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: