Monday, March 31, 2008

Just for Today, April 1

I will confess against myself my injustice (Ps. xxxi). I will confess to Thee, O Lord, my infirmity.

It is oftentimes a small thing which casts me down and troubles me. I make a resolution to behave myself valiantly; but when a small temptation comes, I am brought into great straits.

Oh! that Thou, the most mighty God of Israel, the zealous lover of faithful souls, wouldst behold the labour and sorrow of Thy servant, and stand by me in all my undertakings!

Strengthen me with heavenly fortitude lest the old man, the miserable flesh, not fully subject to the spirit, prevail and get the upper hand, against which we must fight as long as we breathe in this most wretched life.

-Bk. III, ch. xx.
_________________

Dear Lord, Thou knowest my weakness. Each morn­ing I make a resolution to be humble, but by the evening I find that I have frequently given way to pride. If I did not know that it was a form of pride, I should be tempted to discouragement, but I place my whole trust in Thee. Thou canst do all things, give me this virtue which I desire. In order to obtain this grace from Thy mercy, I will frequently repeat: Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

-Prayers
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: