Sunday, March 30, 2008

Just for Today, March 31

What was the reason why some of the saints were so perfect and contemplative? Because they made it their study wholly to mortify in themselves all earthly desires: and thus they were enabled, with the whole interior of their heart, to cleave to God, and, freely to attend to themselves.
We are too much taken up with our own passions, and too solicitous about transitory things.

-Bk. I, ch. xi.
______________

One Sunday I set out joyfully for the chestnut avenue. It was spring-time and I was going to enjoy the beauties of Nature. Alas, I found that my beloved chestnut trees had been pruned, and the branches, covered with half-opened buds, lay on the ground. It gave me a pang to think that they would take three years to recover from this drastic treatment. Then I thought to myself: If you were in another monastery, you would not in the least mind if they cut down the whole avenue at the Carmel of Lisieux...I therefore made up my mind not to worry over passing things, but to walk with my Beloved in the pleasant glades of His love, which no hand can touch.

-Conseils et Souvenirs.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: