Saturday, April 05, 2008

Meditation for April 6, The Happiness of Meditating

Many people complain of never having time to reflect. One of the most distinguished ministers of contemporary England com­plained that "today, no one, whether he is in business or politics, has time to think."

Some would like to have time to meditate; but the time is not given to them, or at least they imagine they have not time.

Others, having sufficient leisure, would be able to meditate but they do not wish to, or do not deign to, or do not in fact even give it a thought.

Thus the majority follow a shadowy road to an end without light; they know neither what they are doing nor what they ought to do, nor where they are going; with eyes blindfolded they follow the way to death.

I have an opportunity to reflect, to think, to meditate. I am given the time, and knowing the major importance of prayer, I am more than permitted a personal contact with God, I am obliged to force myself to it; it is a point of the Rule.

Do I profit as I should from the immense graces that God grants me, the facilities given me, and the suggestions offered me? Do I not consider meditation a drudgery rather than a precious advan­tage? If it depended on me alone, would I not often omit this exercise which sometimes seems fastidious and profitless.

Fastidious? No one pretends that prayer has only charms. To arrive at the heart of the fruit I must break the tasteless outer skin. But what folly to imagine that the Most High is going to reveal the secrets of the King without making me buy them at their true price. To those who persevere God opens His treasures.

And no one may say that meditation is profitless. When it is marked by aridity, we give ourselves to God. When it is full of consolation, God gives Himself to us. In both cases the profit is enormous.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: