Saturday, May 31, 2008

Just for Today, June 1

Nothing is sweeter than love; nothing stronger, nothing higher, nothing more generous, nothing more pleasant, nothing fuller or better in heaven or earth: for love proceeds from God, and cannot rest but in God, above all things created.

-Bk. III, ch. v.
_____________

When I read St Paul's description of the different members that make up the mystical body of the Church, I could not recognize myself as any of them, or rather, I wished to be all of them. Charity gave me the clue to my vocation. I realized that if the Church were complete in all her members, she could not lack the most necessary and noblest of all the organs - a heart, and that this heart was on fire with love. Love sets in motion all the members, and if it were to die, there would be no apostles to preach the Gospel, and martyrs would refuse to shed their blood. So that Love includes all these vocations, it suffices alone, and being eternal fills all Time and all places.

Carried away by excess of joy, I cried out: O Jesus, my Beloved! at last I have found my vocation, my vocation is Love! The place Thou hast prepared for
me is in the heart of my Mother the Church, where I shall be Love; and so my dream will come true and I shall become all things!

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: