Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Meditation for May 29, Religious Poise

It is difficult, even though we live in a religious community, to remain perfectly peaceful; that is, to avoid being drawn into fever­ish activity, into excessive haste, and in consequence into dissipa­tion of spirit which destroys easy contact with God.

Sometimes this diffusion of energy comes from a lack of organiza­tion and foresight; we lose ourselves in our work. Sometimes when there are many things to be done at one time we do the easiest or the most appealing which is not always the most necessary; we take more time than necessary to do it; we should have left it until last and, in case of necessity, sacrificed it for more impera­tive duties so that later on we are not forced to act with undue haste, impetuosity and a lack of composure which is harmful to interior peace.

If I find myself habitually steeped in work, I should inform the proper person; if authorized superiors can arrange otherwise, they will gladly lighten the burden. If I am the cause of my own diffi­culties, I will do all I can to remedy the situation. I must not forget to plan thoughtfully before acting, then I will be able to judge more clearly what can be left undone and how I should proceed.

The Gospel offers timely advice in this respect. Before building, measure the height; examine the land; when that is done, deter­mine the probable cost. And then begin! Pauses are the best things in life; the best, and at the same time, the most fruitful. In order to begin well and end well, we must first know when to stop.

"My God, teach me how to disengage myself from temporal concerns and let me remember that to do so I must pause occasionally."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: