Sunday, May 25, 2008

Just for Today, May 26

If thou wilt withdraw thyself from superfluous talk and idle visits, as also from giving ear to news and reports, thou wilt find time sufficient and proper to employ thyself in good meditations. The greatest saints avoided the company of men as much as they could, and chose to live to God in secret.

-Bk. I, ch. xx.
______________

I worked in silence until the sewing lesson was over, and then, as no one paid any attention to me, I went up to the gallery of the chapel until it was time for my father to come and fetch me. This silent visit was my one consolation, for was not Our Lord my only friend? I could talk to Him alone; conversation with others, even on spiritual subjects, wearied me. Being overlooked by others in this way did sometimes hurt me, but I com­forted myself by repeating a verse of a poem my father often recited: This life is but a ship that bears thee on, and not thy dwelling-place.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: