Thursday, May 15, 2008

Just for Today, May 16

Give me fortitude, that I may stand my, ground; patience that I may endure; and constancy that I may persevere. Give me, in lieu of all the comforts of this world, the most delightful unction of Thy Spirit; and instead of carnal love, infuse into me the love of Thy name.

-Bk. III, ch. xxvi.
___________________

Not long after my First Communion I again went into retreat for the Sacrament of Confirmation. I prepared with great care for the coming of the Holy Ghost, and could not understand how anyone could approach this great Sacrament carelessly. As the ceremony was post­poned, I had the happiness of remaining longer in re­treat. Like the Apostles, I waited full of joy for the coming of the promised Comforter, for the day when I should be a perfect Christian, and bear the cross indeli­bly imprinted on my forehead.

I was not conscious of the mighty wind of Pentecost, but rather of the gentle air that Elias felt on Mount Horeb. On that day I was given fortitude to' endure suffering, a gift of which I stood in need, for the martyrdom of my soul was soon to begin.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: