Friday, May 16, 2008

Just for Today, May 17

O Lord, my God, depart not from me! O my God, have regard to help me; for divers evil thoughts have risen up against me, and great fears, afflicting my soul. How shall I pass without hurt? How shall I break through them.

-Bk. III, ch. xxiii.
_________________

When, tired out by the impenetrable darkness which surrounds it, my soul would take some rest in the thought of eternal life, my torment increases. From the darkness I seem to hear mocking voices which say: You dream of light and of a fair country, of possessing for ever the Creator of these marvels; you hope to emerge some day from the dark mist that surrounds you; go for­ward then to death, which will not bring what you hope for; but a yet darker night, that of absolute nothingness!

May God forgive me! He knows that I strive to do the works of faith, although I do not feel its presence in my soul. I have made more acts of faith in this one year than in the whole of my life.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: