Thursday, May 15, 2008

Meditation for May 16, Inconstancy

A religious who was somewhat flighty, or as Huysman would have said, whose brain was slightly wind-blown, was boasting that she had been sent successively to all the houses of her Institute and she said with no little pride, "I have visited all the possessions of my Spouse."

In reality, she so quickly became undesirable in one house, that the only means of restoring peace was to send her for the time being to another house.

Sometimes superiors are confronted with other problem cases. Some subjects say they cannot work long at the same task or be contented in the same house. They must have a variety. Jesus remained twenty-nine years at Nazareth; but He was made of different stuff. Some people have to shift about. Again, others imagine they are not succeeding, then half through self love and half through lassitude they ask for something else.

"My God, make me understand that I must work out my sanctifica­tion where you have put me. If I have a real reason to ask for a change, I may make it known to the right person. But whether it is accepted or refused, let me live in peace and devote myself to the best of my ability to my present duty. I must be ready for all things but rarely ask for anything."

I have been received into the Congregation, I who am worth so little. I wish to force myself to give maximum service wherever I am sent. The rest, Lord, I leave to You.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: